Thursday, August 20, 2009

Finding an Unseen God: Reflections of a Former Atheist

The Book
The reason I chose this month’s selection was its intriguing title: “Finding an Unseen God: Reflections of a Former Atheist”. It also didn’t hurt that the author’s website says she listens to Jason Upton – one of my favorite artists.

Alicia Britt Chole takes 165 pages and 52 chapters to trace her journey from birth to belief, fleshing out a work that is one part memoir and one part Christian apology. What’s interesting – and very postmodern of her – is that the chapters do not appear in strictly chronological order, but are arranged to form two complementary threads. One begins with the last chapter and counts down in descending order, while the other begins with chapter 1 and moves in ascending order. Thus, the first chapter is chapter 52, the second is chapter 1, the third is chapter 51 and the fourth is chapter 2, etc. – so that the reader experiences a sort of flashback effect as the book unfolds.

Quote
“Beliefs are celebrated in the light. They are tested in the dark.”

The Good
The book is an honest and touching look at the author’s conversion from atheism to Christian faith, culminating in an unexpected experience of the mystical presence of Jesus. I found the book simple, humble and authentic. It was also a quick read. I finished it in only four or five sittings.

The Bad
When I read a book that centers on an author’s personal experiences, I usually have two questions: (1) who is this and (2) why should I care? I recently read “Come be My Light”, a sort of spiritual biography of Mother Theresa as told through her personal letters. As I read, I never once doubted that the story was a noteworthy one. Unfortunately, I can’t say the same about “Finding an Unseen God”. Chole’s story is told with honesty, and is by no means an unpleasant read, but I nevertheless wonder why Bethany House thought it noteworthy. An author doesn’t have to be Mother Theresa to grip us with her story, but in this case I’m not convinced that Chole’s testimony is any more compelling than that of 2/3 of my Christian friends. They too were unbelievers who encountered Jesus. Should they all get book deals?

The Bottom Line
The bottom line is that “Finding an Unseen God” is a light and enjoyable read and makes a rather winsome case for Christian belief in a skeptical age. I’d have no problem recommending it to seekers or those who are taking their first steps on the Christian way. As I’m sure Chole herself would be willing to admit, however, it’s not going to convince any atheists.

No comments: